Boarding schools have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. Almost every parent might agree that it is a great option to nurture their children for this competitive world. But the fact is that this system also has its downside, with not all students gaining a positive experience from it. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages that come with studying in a boarding school in Dehradun:
- Passionate teachers: Most boarding schools have teachers being on-site day and night. Apart from teaching, they are also there to offer extra help, run the dormitory, and take charge of extracurriculars. Only someone passionate about the art of teaching would be willing to teach in such an environment.
- Discipline: Children are used to having their parents do most of their work at home. Things like housekeeping and managing studies are often looked after by the parents. But studying in a boarding school and following their rules teaches students how to manage their time efficiently and instills discipline in them from an early age.
- Friendships and connections: Studying and living with the same set of people establishes a sibling-like bond and forms a connection that will almost always last a lifetime.
- School spirit: If a school has a lot of local boarders, most of them might go home during the weekend, hampering other students’ common social experience.
- Diversity: A lot of the times boarding schools have students coming from a certain social background, with it being very difficult for people from lower-income categories to afford a boarding school experience. Public schools on the other hand have people from all backgrounds, letting students adjust to and connect with all types of people.
- Bad company: It may seem like boarding schools are a good environment for breaking bad habits. But many students also see a boarding school environment as a way to revolt and not follow rules. Children get easily influenced by such behavior and might end up developing a bad habit rather than breaking it.
Thus, it becomes integral for students as well as parents to thoroughly understand each school’s environment and how appropriate it is for them before enrolling there.